Sunday, June 26, 2016

Season of Preparation

First, I know it's been a long while since I've written on this blog. I created another blog during my Haiti adventure over New Year's 2014-2015. I have not done much posting for the public since then and here I am writing again.

Preparation. It's a wonderful thing. It gets you ready to face whatever the future may hold. Before going to Haiti, we had informational meetings where I learned what to expect, I visited my doctor and got up to date immunizations, and I spoke with and listened to God as I prepared physically, mentally, and emotionally for a trip that has changed the way I view my world. During my time within the school walls in Haiti, I had big dreams of bringing science and math alive to the children who attended. Like most of my big dreams, they got pushed aside to focus on life demands.

Over the past few years, I've worked as a preschool teacher, gone to school for education, and served as substitute teacher. Way back when I was in Kindergarten I remember thinking of how I was going to grow up and be just like my teacher (Mrs. Bricks - weird how I still know her name). In middle school, I was once again reminded of the influence that teachers can have on students going through traumatic and not so traumatic life situations. I set in my heart to become a teacher. 

It's been 15 years and I'm still not an elementary school teacher with her own classroom. That's okay. God has prepared a path before me that I believe I am to travel. With the four-year degree that I now possess and the undeniable favor of my God, I remembered why I wanted to get my degree. I wanted to teach overseas with the Peace Corps. Through one of the elders at my church, God spoke to me and said, "Do it." So, I did some research, found the most perfect position, and applied.

While I may not know with 100% certainty that I have been accepted for this position, I believe that God has set in motion and laid the foundation for this journey. Now, I prepare. I prepare my house, my belongings, my body, my mind, my emotions. It's like preparing for rain. 

Though my mind doubts, my heart never waivers from the reality of this journey; even more so now than a week ago. This past week the Missions and Outreach ministries of our church had a time of celebration and remembering of the work done over the past 25 years. After we talked and shared, my Pastor asked God to give us each a word that we could hold onto. The word given to me was "Prepare." I had visions of my time with the Peace Corps and what it would mean for my future relationship with the children of Haiti. 

"I am preparing you, Beloved."

We then ended our prayers with a hymn,
"Lord prepare me / to be a sanctuary / pure and holy / tried and true
With thanksgiving / I'll be a living / sanctuary / for You"

Even just writing this, I have tears behind my eyes and goosebumps on my arms. I am still being prepared for the rest of my journey. There is so much going on in my heart. The seasons are changing in my story and I am getting ready to embrace the change and go where the wind (God controls that too) takes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment